Thursday, May 22, 2008

Therapy

I am not going to be stating anything to you that isn't already an established, well-known and proven fact, but rather consider this validation of the things that you have been hearing - physical activity is very good for your psyche as well as your physique.


This revelation occurred to me yesterday as I was pounding the pavement for a 7-mile run; one that I admittedly started when annoyed, frustrated and perhaps even a bit angry (the details of which we are not going to visit in this entry, but trust me when I tell you that it was good I was alone and did not subject anyone to the ravings of a lunatic)


As I plodded along at my break-neck speed of 11 minutes per mile, I started thinking about what was irritating me but soon found my mind wandering off to far better and more enjoyable places such as what I am doing for vacation this summer, what college my daughter is going to attend, how I can take all 3 dogs for a walk by myself and what I am going to do for my next blogging series...all items that are far more worthy of my attention and energy.

I also learned that I am not alone in the use of exercise for therapy...seeing the look of intent on the faces of the runners, bikers and walkers that I came across helped me to realize that we all benefit from this private form of therapy in a very public setting. I also concluded that I am a tremendous help to those who have self-esteem issues, as they pass me as if I am standing still when running and that is always a satisfying thing to do (or so I am told, I can't remember the last time that I passed anyone while running; I barely stay ahead of the walkers and one time a speed walker told me that I was the perfect pace for her on the 1/2 marathon that we were doing - I wasn't trying to pace for the WALKERS, I thought that I was RUNNING!) At any rate, fresh air, moving the muscles and spending some time alone in our heads is a very good thing for the mental health!

I don't pretend that all of my issues disappeared by mile 5, but I can say that some perspective was gained. I recognize what I am grateful for and want to put more of my energy into what is working rather than what is not. I also will be authoring a series of blogs on the 'Beatitudes' in the upcoming weeks, as I am not sure that I have completely and thoroughly dug into the significance and meaning of these teachings from Matthew 5...this was part of our study during the pilgrimage to England and while it was my third time studying this text, I came home thinking about them even more and want to see if I can really dig in and understand how to effectively apply this to my whole life.

There will also be plenty of news on David, Holly and the dogs, plus whatever else we might have going on, as I have not missed the fact that this blog is aptly titled Newton Family Adventures. I would also like to point out that the very loud carpeting displayed in the photo above is NOT something that you will find in my house, but is from the lovely Hilton Garden Inn of Emeryville, my home away from home on Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

Here's to a good day of therapy for each of you in whatever form of physical activity you choose!

2 comments:

Ebe said...

I agree that exercise can be very theraputic! And I love the blog - keep up the good work - and I look forward to the next series - will be good. God bless you!

Unknown said...

Agree on the exercise, although haven't been so great about it myself. I would like to see more pics of the newest addition!