Monday, August 17, 2009

30 Miles

Extra long twin sheets have been purchased (why do dorms make that weird bed size standard, while so few retailers carry those sheets?). Fees have been paid. Forms have been filled out. Suitcases and boxes are packed. The car is loaded. The time has come.

We set out on the 30-mile journey to Northridge today. I actually drive further than that to and from work each day, but it still feels like we are taking a huge trip. A different city, a different county and a whole new and exciting chapter of life for the Schnoogs...it is college move-in day!

Originally thought to just be a few hours for David and I, we realized after going through the orientation packet yesterday that there are things going on all day, until the "ceremonial send-off on the lawn" where the administration forces the clingy parents to leave and officially let their kid live their life.

I originally was going to go into work at about 2 because I didn't think I was going to be that clingy parent that just hung around, but as we went through the activities and realized that there were some activities for the families to learn more about the campus and life there, Holly phrased it in such a way that I couldn't leave early. "I wouldn't be bothered if you wanted to stay for the family picnic and send off."

Since she put it that way...I am sure that the next few postings will include a fair share of pictures and details of the move-in excitement!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

I still remember the day that I moved into the dorms my freshman year - and as hard as it was - it was the best thing for me and one of the best times of my life! Again - I'm so excited for her! And the extra long beds are for us tall people :)