Monday, September 21, 2009

Not Going For the Service

We have chanced upon a great little burrito place in Ventura called Corrales. I wandered past it one weekend when I was walking around, killing time before the Emmaus Board meeting. There was a huge line at 10 in the morning, leading me to believe that it must be tasty. I immediately called David to tell him about this place (we are all about the good Mexican food) and we agreed that it was a must-visit.

David made it to Corrales and made it a point to tell me how good it was, but the timing had not been right for me to go. I found myself passing through Ventura on my way to Santa Barbara at lunchtime last Wednesday, so I seized upon the opportunity to stop at what the Ventura County Reporter ranked as "the best cheap eats in Ventura County." How could I pass it up?

I ordered a chile rellano burrito with beans, cheese and avocado (really, there could be NOTHING better on the menu). The woman at the window surveyed me, took my money and handed me my number. 5-minutes later, my number was called, a bag shoved through the window and I was ready to dig in.

One look and I knew that something was wrong...there was chicken or pork in my burrito...nope! I went back to the window, explained the problem and was told to wait. A few more minutes and a new burrito appeared - success! It was totally worth the wait and at $4 for my whole lunch, it does count as some seriously cheap eats!

As I recounted my experience to David, he (in his usual low-key way) summed it up perfectly. People line up for the food, they're not going for the service!

No comments: