Sunday, September 27, 2009

Too Much Good Stuff

I have been fortunate in my life thus far to visit a myriad of interesting, fascinating and fun places. I hope to continue on this road for many years to come and for that reason I often look for new opportunities to broaden my horizon and expand my understanding of the world I live in. Today, I had the unexpected opportunity to visit a world-renown location somewhere between Hemet and Riverside...the largest Arco (and subsequent AM/PM market) in the U.S.

Admittedly, my journey to the promised land of convenience stores started out unassuming enough. It was 107 degrees, I had been driving with the A/C blaring for about 30 minutes and I was thirsty. I originally chose the freeway exit for the Unocal and Circle K sign that prominently signaled a snack-oasis, but as I rolled along the road and off of the freeway, I realized that I was across the street from a landmark that I have never seen or visited and decided that I must be able to join the ranks of the people who can claim, "I have been there."

While I left my car to fill-up, I entered the sliding doors and blinked slightly as the brightness and mass of the store greeted my eyes. Packaged foods, coolers, freezers, a deli and an entire food court waited for exploration. The fountain area had 3 separate machines and at least two different kinds of ice, including my favorite, the chewable pieces that are rather elusive in the typical quick-serve retail environment.

I probably burned a good 10 minutes just looking around, deciding what to purchase, before I finally landed upon a caramel iced latte from the fountain area (using the tasty chewable ice balls, of course). It was a tad sweet for my preferences, but between the good ice AND the "largest Arco in the world" status, I was content with my choice.

Now I can tout my claim that I have been exposed to too much good stuff, right there in the middle of the desert. Everyone should be so lucky!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

And just think of the good stuff we will see in Israel - especially the pools! :)