Saturday, July 4, 2009

Chafe Me

The Avon 2-Day Walk for Breast Cancer is one short week away, which means that Holly and I will be walking a marathon (26.2 miles) through San Francisco on Saturday, followed by a 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles) on Sunday.  We do this all to raise money and awareness for the prevention of breast cancer.

I have been prepping Holly mentally for a couple of months, but realized that she has not really been put to a road test with her shoes, hydration, clothing options, etc.  Friday was a holiday for both Holly & I (woo hoo!), so we suited up and set out for Ventura at 8 am, picking up Rachel along the way for some entertainment and moral support.

The Schnoogs learned a tough lesson at about mile 3:  loose and shorter shorts are NOT the way to go for any real distance...they truly do rub you the wrong way!  Props to Holly for following my one rule...no complaining.  She acknowledged the fact that she was going to have to consider a new option for shorts, but she forged ahead.  

Our original plan was to do a 1/2 marathon, but I had a moment of compassion and gave the option to do just 10 miles...an option which Holly quickly accepted.  We may have cut the walk a little short (not to worry, I will add it on the Saturday distance!), but we maximized the fun and entertainment.  Check out a few of the photos and it will be just like you were there!

Tomorrow is another 10 mile day.  The Schnoogs is up for it...just as soon as we get her some chafe-free shorts!

By the way, I am pleased to report that I have met my fundraising commitment, but Holly is taking it to the wire.  If you are interested in making a donation, click here for her page!

2 comments:

Ebe said...

God Bless Holly - I know that wearing the wrong shorts can be a tough lesson to learn and a mistake you only make once! Good luck and blessings to you both!

Krisandr said...

You're right, I do feel like I was there. I can almost feel Holly's pain. Good luck to you both.