Monday, July 27, 2009

When Does it Get Light?

Nothing says committed like setting the alarm for 4:15 am on a Saturday. Still a little groggy from our night on the streets of San Francisco on Friday, we all got ourselves - and our gear bags - ready for the big walk.

It was a festival and sea of reflective strips (shoes, jackets, hats) out on the street, as we wound around the block in line and waiting to load up in the buses to take us to the opening ceremony. It was rather damp and a little misty, which added to the fun of standing around.

Given the number of people in the line, we moved pretty quickly and rocked out to some fine 70's music on the way to Golden Gate Park. Holly pretended to not enjoy my fine disco moves as we waited for the bus to fill up, but I know that she did.

It was chilly enough to make us all thankful that we had enough layers between us to bundle everyone up and keep warm. I had decided while at Walgreen's getting water Friday night that I was missing a layer, so I bought the value of the week - a $3.99 sweatshirt. Barb perused the Avon gear at check in and bought a windbreaker. Holly somehow ended up with my sweatshirt (I am not sure that I ever even put it on once) and I with Barb's windbreaker at 1 or 2 cold intervals over the weekend.

Lucky a few of the members of our team are prepared!

No comments: