Saturday, August 2, 2008

Breakdown

No need to fret...I am not having a breakdown, it is actually the title of a song that I really like by Jack Johnson. It's been around for several years and has been playing on my iPod since it came out, but rarely do I hear it on the radio...but I did today. As I heard the familiar tune and listened to the lyrics, I was struck by a few things.

1. Another train reference (check out yesterday's blog entry...much about the train experience). 2. The song is all about slowing down and enjoying the journey (also an earlier blog entry and something that I am really trying to embrace of late). 3. Sometimes we force ourselves into a position where we HAVE to slow down (and it is often rather uncomfortable and definitely the 'hard way' to learn something).

I've always liked this song and hearing it today was a good reality check for where things are, how I'm dealing with them and most important of all - how I am trying to NOT power through it as if I can control everything. It is kind of interesting that the first line "I hope this old train breaks down" is something of a wish to slow the pace. As I thought through this song and what it is asking for, I concluded that it might behoove us to make a conscious effort to slow things down a bit or at least stop every now and again.

Take stock, inventory and assess where things are. I can tell you that it didn't take me too long to realize how lucky I am to have a great family and friends with whom I get to share a lot of great experiences. Today alone I had the chance to talk to about a dozen different people who I consider to be high quality and quite the blessing to me in my life (and chances are if you are reading this blog you are one of them!!).

It is good to be able to get out and enjoy life. As Jack says, "The wisdom's in the trees, not the glass windows."

1 comment:

Ebe said...

It's funny that you write about slowing down - I was reminded this week that I need to slow down and spend more time listening - as I did this morning in the solitude of Big Bear. You are blessing, my friend!