Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Who knows what lurks beneath

This is the official vacation blog. In addition to the obligatory pictures ( thank your lucky stars that I sifted down to about 24 - you could be bored for HOURS if I put them all out there), I am going to make the declaration that one week of vacation just isn't enough. I was just starting to settle into the vacation groove - stay up until 1 or 2 am and get up at 8:45 or 9:00 the next morning. No e-mail, no phone, no real responsibilities or agenda...that is some fine luxury living.

You will note in the picture series that there was a lot of time spent out on the water - either on a boat, pontoon or even riding on a giant tube while being hauled around the lake at speeds sometimes upward of 35 mph (that translates to 70 mph+ as you whip behind the boat in the turns...good times!) I have decided (and always kind of have known) that I need to live somewhere that I can have access to water - it is very grounding to me.

Speaking of the lake, I ventured out on one late morning with the intention of doing a fine open water swim...there were very few boats or skiers on our side of the lake, so it seemed an idyllic and tranquil spot to swim at least a half mile. Things started out OK and then I hit the reeds. CREEPER!! There are few things worse in my opinion than swimming along while things are touching you - even if they are just harmless water plants. Who knows what lurks beneath???? I spent at least the first 10 minutes hyperventilating and talking myself out of stopping (besides, I was in the middle of the lake with no support crew...how was I going to stop??)

After 15 minutes of irregular breathing and splashing, I got my groove on and proceeded to demonstrate some fine, Phelps-like swimming skills (well, maybe not QUITE as fast, but good form nonetheless). Coming back through the weeds/reeds/torture chamber was not a treat but I managed to power through without stopping to tread water in the midst of it and get freaked out. That may have been the longest 30 minute swim of my life, but hopefully it will help to get me ready for the Santa Barbara Triathlon that I have this Sunday!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

Loved the pics! Especially Holly and the raspberries - my dad had raspberry bushes when I was a kid and when I went to pick them - most of them never made it in the house! Mmmm... good!