Sunday, August 3, 2008

Vegetarian Beef - doesn't that seem odd?

I was cruising the aisles of my favorite grocery store (Trader Joe's, we may have to have a few blogs about their most outstanding items at some point in the future) and came upon a claim that just struck me as comical while at the same time a little odd. It's peak BBQ season, so the sample area was filled with all sorts of delectable items suitable to BBQ or bring to compliment one. In the cooler right next to the sample counter, there was a sign proclaiming the steaks as being the best because of the 'vegetarian fed' cattle.

It is a well known fact to those who know me that I don't eat meat. I have never eaten beef, pork, lamb, veal or any other animals that fall into the general MEAT category, although I did eat poultry for some time...at least until I came across an article about poultry houses and decided that I was done trying to convince myself that chicken wasn't so bad. I still eat fish, but do steer clear of any articles or conversations that might go into detail on how the fish are prepared for the marketplace.

At any rate, this is not about me judging the masses who eat (and rightly enjoy) meat or trying to convince any of you to not do it. It is really just about the humor that I found in the emphasis on cattle bred to be vegetarians (their natural inclination anyway). I know that some cattle farms put steroids and growth hormones to make the cows grow bigger faster, so knowing that you are eating meat that doesn't have any of that junk in it is important.

It was really just the fact that the claim struck me as the ultimate oxymoron and entertained me greatly for the remainder of my shopping trip!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

The cow looks like she is enjoying life in the Alps! And I was at Costco today and saw the Magic Bullet - are you still using it and do you still think it's all that? And say hi to the guest stalker for me :)