Monday, August 25, 2008

Now What??

Just like that, we as a world are thrust into darkness. Gone is the Olympic flame, burning so brightly for 16 consecutive days. Gone are the exciting qualifying and final rounds of our favorite sports (old and new - I am still pretty entertained by that whole trampoline thing). Gone are the medal ceremonies and accompanying national anthems (I might be able to hum the Chinese anthem on command - they really cleaned up with their 51 golds!!). Gone are the touching and sometimes contrived but still unique 'Olympic Spirit' stories. Sigh.

Although I didn't completely devote the last 2+ weeks to the Olympics, I certainly did contribute most of my spare time to either talking about, watching or looking something up about the events. It is time my friends to slowly begin our re-immersion into non-Olympic times and regular conversation or activities.

Dull, uninspired TV is back (although the fall season is just a few weeks away and after that writer's strike from last year, I would like to go on record that they OWE us a good season this go-round!!) and we will have to find ways to entertain ourselves until the winter Olympics turn up in Vancouver in 2010. I wonder if I should begin a quest to sign on as a volunteer at the event?!

2010 seems like a long time away and even then it will be about skiing and toboggans - good stuff, certainly...but it is going to be hard to beat a beach volleyball final match!

Good luck, mighty fans, and may the Olympic flame NEVER burn out in your heart!!

No comments: