Thursday, August 21, 2008

Olympic Fever is alive and well

I don't proclaim to be anything special or unusual when it comes to the Olympics - I AM (almost) OBSESSED. I must be trying to make up for that week I missed while on vacation without any TV because here I sit each night taking in whatever event is being aired. Last night's Women's Beach Volleyball was among the best that I have seen in terms of evenly matched athletes. Both the USA and China teams rocked! Much like my friend Elizabeth commented on her blog, I must admit that I do wonder why the women wear the skimpy little suits to play when the men wear board shorts and basketball jerseys...the double standard in clothing aside...go USA as we have won both Women's AND Men's beach volleyball!!

How about those amazing divers? Chen Roulin is 15 years old and wins the gold medal, that is awesome. I was also super happy for Emilie the Canadian diver who gave Chen something of a run for her money and am super impressed with Laura Wilkinson who is ALL class, no matter how she places in her last international competition. I could wax on forever about all of the awesome performances and humble athletes...and I could probably make a comment or two about some of the not-so-gracious displays of sportsmanship in a few of the track stars, but I'll let that go for now!

There are a few sports that are pretty new to my Olympic memories - Handball? Trampoline? BMX? Women's BMX? (they are tough, let me tell you - it was a yard sale with bikes and riders all over the course) I have become an expert in these sports, as well as diving, track, swimming, gymnastics...it is safe to say that Olympic Fever is alive and well in the Newton household.

I am coming to the sad realization that the games will close out on Sunday (although a quick study of the schedule will tell you that there is a full agenda of finals for the remaining two days - I hope that I can catch them all!!) The big dilemma is going to be...what will I do for the next 2 years until the winter Olympics start up in Vancouver???

1 comment:

Ebe said...

Go Olympics! I so understand that Olympic fever is alive and well! And just wait until 2012 when the Summer Olympics make it to London - and we'll be able to say - we've been there!