Saturday, June 6, 2009

Inspiring

I have professed my love for NPR several times in this blog and in person, if you have been (un)lucky enough to get into a conversation with me on radio and TV programming.  This morning (Saturday) while on my way to the first MIMs meeting of the season, I was fortunate enough to hear a story on Major Phil Packer.

Read the story on this incredible man, but the long and the short of it is he was injured and lost the use of both of his legs in March 2008 while serving with the Royal Military Police in Iraq. 13 months after this happened...Phil ran the London marathon.  It took him 2 weeks and he did most certainly earn the distinction of coming in last...but what an amazing story of sheer determination.

He has also rowed the English Channel and plans to climb El Capitan Mountain.  He is still serving in the Royal Military and considers himself lucky.  As I listened to Phil speak in the interview, I was floored at what an incredibly humble and genuine person he seems to be.

It certainly inspires me to persevere through whatever TRIVIAL issue I might have in front of me on any given day!

No comments: