Thursday, February 24, 2011

Goggle Eyes

I opted for a quick "splash and dash" workout yesterday, which means that I went to the YMCA for 30 minutes of swimming in the pool, then jumped onto a treadmill for 30-minutes of running. Not to be confused with the "Y-Tri" which adds a stint on the stationary bike into the mix, this is the signal that triathlon season is fast approaching and I don't want to fall behind in my readiness.

I had great plans to be at the Y at 6 am when they opened. Some cute dogs and husband distracted me as they followed be around with hopeful eyes, looking for a bite of cheese and conversation (David did not get any cheese). I also did not pack the night before, so I was trotting around the house, throwing items into my duffel bag so that I could shower and leave directly for work after the workout was complete.

Because this is the first pool workout in quite some time, I was a bit out of sorts and did not have my usual routine in place, so I was very dismayed when I was in the locker room to realize that I left both my goggles and earplugs in my other duffel bag with no back-ups anywhere to be found.

I was already running late and had carved the time out to do my workout, so I forged ahead, swimming for 30-minutes straight in a very chlorinated pool. I attempted to keep my eyes closed, but after 3 or 4 collisions with the floating lane chains, I had to just suck it up and dry out my eyes.

I showed up to work almost 2 hours after I had originally planned, looking rather red and glassy-eyed. I met Holly for lunch later in the day and she was curious as to what I had been doing to have such suspicious looking eyes. I explained my goggle dilemma and while I know she believes me, she still had to tell me the thing that everyone was thinking but no one had said, "You look stoned."

I trust that she knows this only from a distance and not first hand!

No comments: