Friday, February 25, 2011

In My Grill

Two months of stalking have at last paid off!

The food truck phenomenon is alive and well in Los Angeles, with just about any gastronomical delight you can imagine being prepared and sold out of a truck, strategically parked on some street corner. In addition to having some darn good food, the simple fact that these trucks fly in the face of conventional marketing practices amazes me.

There are a few sections in town (such as the Miracle Mile, across from LACMA) where you can count on a row of food trucks lined up beginning at about 11 am, but these are not the hot, everybody wants some, find out where it is NOW kind of trucks. I have been in search of...The Grilled Cheese Truck.

I first heard of this delectable delight from a friend on Facebook who happened upon it. Once I saw that such a thing existed, I looked it up, "friended" it and started to watch for the location updates every single week to see where it would show up. There were a couple of close-but-no-grilled-cheese incidents when the truck was in range by about 15 miles, but I held out, knowing that my day would come.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 proved to be the day. Not only was the truck planned to be within 6 or 7 miles of the office, but it was parking at the Frosted Cupcakery, ANOTHER place that I love because of the delicious hi-top cupcakes. Clearly meant to be, I blocked the time on my calendar and invited another GCT admirer to come with me.

At the same time I blocked the time for the Grilled Cheese run, a last-minute appointment landed on my calendar, smack dab in the middle of my planned grilled cheese goodness...NOOOOOOOOOO! Undeterred and intent upon nothing coming between me and my future delicious lunch, I coordinated 4 different people for 3 different meetings all to occur in my car en-route, in-line or returning from the outing. Not the most traditional setting for a meeting, but productive AND it got me to my eventual goal...lunch nirvana!

I am here to tell you that my stalking days are not over. The sandwich options are fantastic and they allow customization, so this will be a regular stop whenever possible. I personally am voting for a regular gig and pairing with the fine people at the Frosted Cupcakery...this makes my stomach and my taste buds very, very happy!

No comments: