Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Speedy's Got Some New Shoes

A firm rule of runners in the running world is...don't mess with the shoes. Find a brand/style/pair you like and stick with them. Don't wear them to lounge around or do your errands in; they are the pristine tool of the trade and should be taken seriously.

It is no secret that I am not a fast or serious runner, but over the years I have evolved into a committed and consistent runner. I have also always worn the same brand of shoes - Nike - because my foot is fairly narrow and I have found that they fit me well, plus of course they pair nicely with the BEST technology invention in the world...the Nike+ system. I remember wearing Nike all the way back when I ran with my Dad (circa 1980) and have just always stuck with them, despite mocking from my fellow MIMs and running enthusiasts, all of whom have told me that there are better running shoes out there.

I was at Future Track (an awesome local shop if you are in the Ventura/Western End of the SF Valley area) last night for a meeting of the Ragnar Relay hopefuls. My current shoes are coming up on 2 years, and I am ready for a new pair, so I told Gloria (our coach extraordinaire and Future Track Manager) that it was time to set me up. She has all of my purchasing history in their system, so I didn't pay much attention to the process while I waited for the shoes to materialize.

Tricky Gloria brought the shoes to me out of the box, so as I grabbed the first one to try on, I didn't notice it...at first. This was a Saucony...hey! Gloria gave me her sly smile and said, "I really think you should try these, they will fit your foot well and I think that you will like them." She is the coach and runs something like a 7:30 mile (long distance, not just sprints), as well as she has been watching me lope around for the last 3 years, so clearly she knows what she is talking about.

I will admit, the new shoes are comfortable. But wait...my Nike+ battery! Already covered with a shoe sensor pocket that can be Velcroed to the top of the shoe. Change.....is....so....hard, BUT...I did it. I switched it up.

The turtle has got some new shoes. Let's see what kind of stats I post after tonight's run!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

I have enjoyed Saucony in the past myself - am currently wearing ASICS. Used to wear Nike in high school but haven't worn them in years.