Friday, February 4, 2011

Streaker!

I was introduced to the concept of streak running a couple of years ago, after hearing on the radio a woman describe the process that she and her son followed for 2 years. It is a fascinating concept to me and admittedly, I can get obsessed enough about something to sign up for this kind of a deal.

Streak running is "to run at least one continuous mile each calendar day under one's own body power." This definition comes directly from the United States Running Streak Association, Inc. (yep, they even have their own website!), which a person can't even think about joining until the certify that they have run every day for at least one year! Incidentally, the longest streak on the registry is a whopping 42.5 years and there are 91 people on the list who have been running continuously for 20 years or more. That is some serious mileage!

I intended to do this streak running thing when I first heard about it back in 2009...on the 2nd day I got some crazy flu (a rarity) and that was the end of that. I talked to someone at Future Track who was on her 32nd day of streaking and LOVING it. She (Kelly, a newly signed-up MIM, hooray!) told me that the 1-mile option is what you use when you are tight on time, and she found that once she committed to this, she only ran 1-mile 2 or 3 times.

I do have the new shoes and I have been incorporating runs into more creative times in my schedule. I've got a 4-day trend going as of today...I might be admitting right now that I am a streaker!

No comments: