Saturday, February 5, 2011

Local Living

I had a rare opportunity to live like a local. Tomorrow is the Surf City 1/2 Marathon, which will take me to Huntington Beach and points south for the day, but in a fine bit of scheduling magic, I was able to pick my packet up on Friday (while on my way to Mission Viejo), leaving today free to putter around and not have to trek all the way to Huntington just to get my race bib, shirt and timing chip. I will also get to have dinner tonight with David and Holly and sleep in my own bed, all in exchange for waking up tomorrow at 4 am to be on my way.

The early wake-up isn't such a big deal and I must confess that I have rather enjoyed my day thus far just doing errands. A tough trail run with the MIMs this morning, social time at home with David and Holly before they left for work, a visit to Future Track to get some new insoles for my shoes (an awkward bit of rubbing is occurring with the new shoes on the bottom of my left foot, a nightmare for any thought of running distance), then over to Sharkey's for lunch and a nice spell of time outside by the fountain.

I even walked across the street to the bank and the fancy yogurt place for a little treat and I STILL have plenty of time to to the other errands today, like food shop and other exciting things.

It is amazing how much free time I have when I am not driving all across the greater part of Southern California!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

Nothing like a beautiful day to just get out and get some things done - I was thinking the same thing about how nice it was today not to really have anything planned!