Sunday, October 4, 2009

Dapper Dan

David is not big on dressing up. In fact, when we went to France last year, I didn't check in with his packing and assumed that when I said, "don't forget to bring a nice outfit for dinner on Christmas and New Years" he would know that would mean slacks, a shirt, coat and shoes.

What he showed up with was a flannel shirt, jeans and hiking boots. When I questioned how dressy a flannel shirt really was, his reply was, "this is my GOOD flannel shirt." I didn't realize that there was such a distinction.

Saturday night was a fancy event with the crowd at HART, including a dinner, some guest speakers and even an appearance by LA's Mayor Villaraigosa and one of the HART dogs...quite the celebrity A-list. I tease only because it is a pretty rare thing for David to want to get dressed up and go out, especially since I wasn't invited!

I remembered to ask this morning what he was going to wear, as I saw that the invitation said cocktail attire. I am glad that I asked, as the plan was a pair of black dockers (I will bet that they are at least 10 years old), a white short sleeved shirt (I thought that I gave that thing away, he must have dug it out of the pile) and a khaki jacket (still a bit rumpled looking after he left it in his truck from wearing it to Holly's graduation back in June). He did, however, plan to wear his dress shoes.

I tried to be gentle at first, but when the protests began, I took over and pulled together the ensemble you see here. I tried to be sly and just leave the tie on top of the jacket, but he wasn't going for it.

No worries, he looks pretty darn nice if you ask me!

No comments: