Monday, October 19, 2009

Part of Something Special

San Francisco, specifically Union Square, was abuzz with marathon preparations this past Saturday. I was happy to have made it over before things got into full swing; I picked up my packet, registered my timing chip and decided I was fine to line up with the 11:00 - 12:00 minute mile runners in the corrals.A couple of the MIMs wanted to go across to Niketown to check out the gear and perhaps buy a souvenir. As we approached the store, I saw a mass of people out front and assumed it was the line to get in the store.

Turns out that as a thank you to all of the runners participating, each of our names (all 20,000 of them) were printed up along the display window at the flagship Nike in Union Square. The crowd was actually there to find their name in the sea of pink.

I have enjoyed doing events for good philanthropic efforts for quite some time, but seeing it all together with the total raised ($14 million just with this event to help fight leukemia/lymphoma) AND because the MIMs raised money specifically to support our young (5-year old) friend Nicole who is 2 years into a 4 year treatment program to beat her leukemia, it just felt really personal and good to be a part of something important.

Who doesn't like to see their name in print, after all?

No comments: