Thursday, March 3, 2011

Donut Deliciousness

While at Farmers Market on Tuesday, I made a quick stop at Bob's Donuts, an LA institution when it comes to not-good-for-you-but-still-very-tasty foods. I had been once or twice before with some friends who are big donut aficionados, so I remembered that they were good. I knew that David would appreciate a little treat, so I shuffled right up to the window, ordered a few and sat in the common area for just a bit to enjoy the scenery.

What amazes me about a place like Farmers Market is how diverse and eclectic the patrons are. Tourists, local business people, employees, locals who just hang out and "old Hollywood"... people that I would suspect were very much a part of the scene back in the 50's who are living on residuals or trust funds and still come out to be seen.

There was one particular woman who just fascinated me. She was a generously -sized woman, decked out in FULL makeup including fake eyelashes and Cleopatra-like eyes, a full-length fur coat, purse with some kind of rabbit fur on it and a leopard-print cane. Nails done, big bling rings and some kind of gown under the coat, it was very fancy. She was sipping some coffee (from Bob's - it is LA's best, after all) and scratching off some lottery tickets. Not sure what all of that together means, but it made for some good people watching nonetheless.

The donuts made it safely home, David had one for dessert and we split the other two for a sampler the next morning. It is hard to deny the delicious taste of a fresh donut with a nice hot cup of tea. Perhaps I should buy some lotto scratchers...

1 comment:

Gloria Newton said...

We were given tickets to a food-tasting tour for the Farmer's Market and Bob's was the first stop! I love the buzz and diversity of the whole market. Have you ever been to the one in Downtown LA? Grittier, but equally fascinating!