Saturday, March 19, 2011

We All Scream

I was in the Bay Area for a couple of days last week (Thu & Fri) for work, and while I was there, I mixed in a little fun too.  Barb & Joan are some very fine friends in Oakland/Berkeley who I always enjoy spending some time with; we had a rather enjoyable dinner at a favorite local place (Picante!) and then Barb hauled us over to a shop called Scream Sorbet.

As an ice cream fan, I am of course always willing to try something new.  I wondered how tasty these sorbets would actually be, given the fact that these are vegan sorbets, which means there is no dairy in them.  I've had dairy-free ice creams before and while I would give them a lukewarm, 'OK' rating, they have never been anything to get too super excited about.

Enter super excited status.  Good grief, it is delicious!  Joan stayed out in the car (because there was NOWHERE to park, so she sort of just stopped in a red zone), which meant that the decision making was up to Barb and I.  We were very diligent about our tasting.  Among the noteworthy included almond pink peppercorn, raspberry walnut & peanut vanilla.  After tasting our way through the menu, we settled on peanut vanilla (Barb), askinosie chocolate (Joan) and pistachio for me.

In addition to enjoying the sorbet, we learned that we all possess the skills to scrape out every available drop of flavor, even if that meant licking the bottom of the cup (it was dark and we were sitting in the safety of the car, no one on the street had to witness it!)  I seriously considered going back for another scoop, but some sense of decorum need to be maintained!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

nothing wrong with licking the bottom of the cup!!!