Sunday, February 8, 2009

High Tide!

The rain that we have been experiencing for the past few days, combined with the full moon and high tides has created quite a scene at the beach! We showed up for our usual Sunday morning walk and were faced with a couple of extreme tide situations. The dogs are pretty open to wading through water that is a few inches deep, but David and I are not, at least not if we can help it.

We had a few good laughs this morning as we found ourselves surrounded by water on the newly created peninsula about a mile into our walk. Everyone was willing to hang out for a photo or two, as witnessed above, but shortly after I took this shot, a big wave came up and we were sent scurrying for dry ground...of which there was little.

We got somewhat creative by throwing a log (dropping and hoping for the best is more like it) across one particularly deep portion...I beat the odds by not falling in, however getting back was quite the experience since there was a 2-foot leap that was required off the log onto dry ground. David and I were feeling rather proud of ourselves for our creativity...until we were nearly washed away by another wave. This wall of water came out of nowhere, sending us sprinting for dry ground. I was apparently not moving fast enough for Mr.-I-don't-want-to-get-my-feet-wet, so he just about knocked me over in the process of going around. There was naturally a good deal of teasing and joking for that one!

Shadow as always provided the lesson in perspective for the group. Each time we did a mad-dash for dry ground, David, Scooby, Daphne and I ran like maniacs (Daphne and Scooby weren't really that concerned about getting wet, but probably thought we were playing some sort of game). I turned around, and there was Shadow, just plodding along as if to say, "Hey crazy people. You aren't going to melt. Why not just enjoy the cool water?" As Elizabeth would say about Shadow, God Bless her!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

God Bless Her, indeed! And what a great lesson for all of us - just to slow down and not worry so much about it! Love to the pups, David and Holly for me - thanks for a fun evening last night!