Saturday, February 7, 2009

An Unfortunate Incident

I don't enjoy public restrooms. I don't know many people who do, but I know that I fight the obsessive/compulsive disorder tendencies when I have to use one (and face it, they are a necessary evil), so I touch as little as possible and wash my hands often.

I did the Surf City 5K last week as mentioned in an earlier post, which meant that I had to 1) hydrate effectively and, 2) venture out to Huntington Beach to check-in and pick up my packet of goodies.

Since we were all out and in the race spirit, Kris, Elizabeth (plus bonus guest Terrie!) and I met up for dinner at King's Fish House for what I would call an excellent dinner. We ate, we chatted, we drank water and had a generally fine time.

Before we departed, I decided that I'd better make one more trip to the restroom since I had consumed nearly 100 ounces of water throughout the day. I did what needed to be done and just as I was cinching things back up, realized that much to my horror, my mini-wallet was floating in the toilet, driver's license staring up at me...augh!

Instinct took over right before the automatic flush kicked in because I stuck my hand right in there and pulled it out. Not good. Now I have the wallet, cash, license and 2 credit cards out, but I really want to throw it all away!

Grimacing all the way, I took the whole lot to the sink, turned on the hot water, pumped out a ton of soap and went to town. Once I had scrubbed everything out, I went for the paper towels, all of which had fallen on the floor in a big pile, so I had to pick through them to get a few that I hoped were not germ-filled from the floor.

When I emerged from the restroom 10 minutes later with the contents of my mini-wallet wrapped in paper towels, I had to sheepishly admit what had happened.


It is safe to say that I learned a valuable lesson: don't tuck your wallet into the rear waistband of your pocketless running pants unless you are willing to risk an unfortunate (and unsanitary) incident!

No comments: