Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hola, mi amigos

I have been fortunate in my life to come across a number of people with a very philanthropic spirit, offering me opportunities to share in the same. One venture that I have seen in action for 8 or 9 years but have not had the opportunity to participate in has been building houses in Mexico with my friend, Pastor Craig.

PC (AKA "The Mighty One") was the pastor at my church for 6 or 7 years and introduced the house building ministry to our church. Year after year youth and adult groups made the trek (including my own youth group member, at the time an 8th grader we call Schnoogs), but for some variety of reasons, the timing was never right for me.

Now that Craig has abandoned the fine people of Thousand Oaks and moved on to his new parish in Mission Viejo (do I sound bitter?) called Shepherd of the Hills*, the home building ministry has continued, although many of the players have changed. I decided over the MLK Jr weekend that I was FINALLY going to make the journey down to see what all of this home building buzz was about. The SOTHUMC group left on Thursday and were coming home on Monday, which was a bit more than I could muster, so I opted to ride down with my friend Tim on Friday afternoon for two intense days of house building.

The photo above does not represent my best photogenic skills (I was after all using the Blackberry!), but I am somewhat intrigued with the lighting and the story that this photo tells for me. This is the picture that I took as soon as we got to our work site; the team had been there the day prior and they constructed the shell of the house, starting from the slab that had been poured the week prior. The walls are up, but there is still a lot of work to do!

The adventures of the day were many...you will have to tune in tomorrow to find out all about it!

*For the record, all of my grousing, complaining and feigned bitterness over Craig being moved from Thousand Oaks to Shepherd of the Hills is an act because although I miss Craig in T.O., I am enjoying my assumed "associate" membership with the fine people of SOTHUMC

1 comment:

Ebe said...

Bitter - party of one... As a blessed member of Craig's current church - I do not blame you for being bitter - you could always move down here and make that a full church membership! :) THANKS for the fun this morning (and helping us not be rookies) - it was fabulous! When is the 10K?!