Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Six Words

I recently read an article about a book that had been written with contributions of various authors using just six words to describe love or any other emotion. The article intrigued me because of the challenge to be so succinct in a society where we super-size most anything, and rarely operate under the rule of "less is more."

Even more compelling was that report that Ernest Hemingway declared this contribution his best work ever:
For Sale: Baby Shoes. Never Worn.

I must admit, that's pretty powerful when one stops to really consider the message.

There were other examples in the article, the only other one that stuck with me was:
Our prison visits were surprisingly romantic.

Certainly lots to mull over for that one!

The whole concept of six words has been marinating in my head for a couple of weeks, but I haven't really sat down to consider what my six words are or what I want to convey. This may be an exercise that I'll need to try once a week just to get in the habit of culling the crazy population of words and thoughts floating around in my brain to one coherent point.

For now, let's go with:
Living the dream, loving my life.

No comments: