Friday, February 20, 2009

Juror #8

My stint as juror #8 was cut mercifully short by a last minute ditch of the case by the District Attorney. Perhaps we as jurors just looked too sharp, perhaps not sharp enough; at any rate there was a closed door negotiation that went on after jury selection wrapped up and then just like that, the 14 of us who remained were summarily dismissed for the next 12 months with a thank you and a smile.

It's not such a bad deal, really, as the justice system was played out and all parties were satisfied with the outcome. I heard a few people grumbling about "wasting their time", but in the grand scheme of the judicial system, we each played our roles perfectly. I don't hope to be back any time in the near future (I am OK with the jury duty once a year, but any other showing between now and next February means that I or someone I care about is mixed up in something unsavory), but when I do appear again, I can take confidence in the fact that every citizen in this country is entitled to a fair trial with a jury of their peers AND they are assumed innocent until proven guilty...not a claim that can be made in too many other places in this world.

While we have plenty of opportunities in this country around rights and equality, I am still pretty happy and proud to be a part of it. Should I unfurl my flag now?

1 comment:

Krisandr said...

The only time jury duty isn't a lot of fun in my book is when you are an alternate. I went through the full trial, then was sent home while they deliberated. I was called when they reached their verdict - one that I agreed with so all was good with the world. I do look forward to being a part of a jury and going through the full process. I see that as a privilege not a chore.