Friday, February 13, 2009

Stairway to Wilshire

I have blogged numerous times on the adventures of my Ventura County to Mid-Wlshire/Los Angeles commute, for there is always something new and exciting to experience and report on for every day that I bus-train-bus my way to the office on San Vicente.

One item that remains a constant, however is the multitude of stairs that one must climb to get out of the Red Line station and up to Wilshire Blvd. (or Lankershim on the way home, but it never seems as pronounced there). I could take the more passive route of the escalator, but I'm always looking for ways to squeeze in a little exercise.

I don't know what it is about this station, but the stairs loom above, daring me to try and trot up the four long stretches, followed by two shorter runs before the glittering walkway of the Wilshire/Vermont station plaza greets me at street level.

I start out solidly. Backpack firmly secured, I take the steps confidently one at a time, with just a little bounce in my step to make it feel like I am almost jogging up.

Section one, looking good. Section two, doing OK but I unzip my jacket because I'm starting to warm up. Section three, the bounce is starting to wane and the backpack is feeling heavy. Section four, it is now a flat-footed stagger up the stairs, the asthmatic wheezing has begun and my eyes are on the prize...daylight.

I hit the plateau for a few steps and then try not to trip up the last two short flights...what is the deal with the cardio-stress of an incline? While I am no Olympian, I do my fair share of regular exercise...you would think that I have been lying on the couch for the past two years the way my heart gets pumping!


I wonder if the 4 or 5 people who pass me on the third level are even breathing hard...

No comments: