Saturday, September 13, 2008

Doin' DC Right

What a feast of sights to see! We hit the ground at 9:30 for a breakfast on the go while walking over to the Washington Monument for a 10 am tour. It is a fascinating monument built beginning in the 1840's and finally dedicated and opened in 1885 - it's 555 feet tall and the views are impressive.

Across the lawn we ventured to the WWII memorial. That turned out to be something of an emotional stop for me as I had the opportunity to meet and learn a bit about some WWII vets who were brought to DC as guests of a group called the Guardians. There were so many vets there, walking through the area and sharing memories - it was really a moving experience.

I finally dried my eyes and sauntered (if that is what one does in 85 degree temps with humidity at about the same level) along the reflection pool up to Lincoln's Memorial. I have seen it enough times in pictures and movies that I didn't think it would be that big of a deal - I was wrong and it is. That thing is HUGE! Eric pointed out that part of what makes the Memorial so impactful is its simplicity - larger than life Lincoln in the middle flanked by two walls with letters 5 feet hugh depicting some of his most famous speeches. It really allows who Lincoln was and what he was about to shine through.

We wrapped up the early afternoon with a great lunch at a vegetarian cafe - lots of organic & raw foods - then walked back to our hotel. I headed out to the race start and transition to pick up and rack my bike A special call out to my friends at Tri-Bike Transport for getting my bike safe and sound all the way from Burbank! Things were looking good until I learned that I was not allowed to rack my bike without its race number...which was back at the hotel. No amount of charm and pleasant negotiation would afford me any other answer, so I jumped on my bike and did the 15 mile round trip to the hotel and back. One note of excitement; I didn't exactly know the route back and forth and somehow ended up on the on-ramp for the 395, talk about a harrowing experience! I am pleased to report that all ended well and I safely hopped the median to get back to the frontage road that I was supposed to be on!

Jonathan and I have secured our breakfast for tomorrow and have it on ice. Eric has found us what looks to be a great Italian restaurant and we have reservations for 7:15. The bag is packed, alarm set and we are ready to bring it for the Nation's Tri! Here's hoping for Jonathan's sake I am reasonably fast on the swim and the bike tomorrow - our wave doesn't start until 8 am which potentially puts him in some of the warmest hours of the day. Forecasts are calling for 97 and humid - yikes! Lots of water for everyone!

Here's to a safe and fun event tomorrow, plus more sights of the city!

Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

1 comment:

Ebe said...

Who knew you would get an extra 15 mile workout in?! Good luck and enjoy the rest of your trip!