Monday, September 22, 2008

Strict = Un-Hip

I was cruising through Google Images today as I sometimes do when I am looking for a particular picture or image to support my blog and typed in 'Strict Parents' (more on why that was the topic in a minute). One of the items that came up on the first page included a caption that said '...for un-hip or strict parents...' I have to say that I was a bit taken aback, as it is no great secret that I am incredibly hip, yet most would also describe me as being strict. I have been in complete conflict with my own personality for so long without even realizing it!

This allegation is actually pretty entertaining because I have to admit that at the time I was forming this blog entry in my head, I was not in a truly hip state of mind...I was just kind of irritated - a lot - with the Schnoogs after I learned (at 10:45 pm) that she hadn't finished her homework this weekend. Seriously, it is a good thing that we are in senior year because I don't think that either of us can take another year of my harping and her procrastination that leads to failing to complete her work. The good news about the timing is that while I stewed on it, she went to bed and then I stumbled across this new revelation. I am not really THAT concerned about being hip (because of that natural proclivity of course), nor do I strive or need to be hip in the eyes of my kid - I just want her to take on the appropriate level of accountability - but seeing the accusation there in one place struck me as funny, which gave me some perspective to just let it go. The lecture has been given, I don't need to dwell.

I think that I am OK with this accusation because I am investing in the future and think that in a couple of years Holly will thank me for riding her case so much to get her on the track of personal motivation and commitment. So what if strict = un-hip (for now). Much like everything else we encounter it is all cylcical and one day my nagging will be heralded as the best thing that ever happened...a mom can dream, can't she?

1 comment:

Ebe said...

I'm a firm believer that she will appreciate it when she is older - I know I'm a better person because of all the 'evil' things my mom made me do!
And I think we're hip in our own way - although maybe you need to get some Vans! Then you'd be hip AND cool, dude! :)