Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What are the signs of the apocalypse again??

I was walking the dogs in Wood Ranch (a community in Simi Valley that the pups and I enjoy for it's numerous green belts and absence of traffic plus the occasional critter, which keeps everyone very interested, attentive and safe) this evening when I realized that there was a noise in the background that was somewhat shrill and annoying. I had been hearing-but-blocking it for a while, but then suddenly it snapped into my consciousness and I realized that something was weird. Crows - lots of crows - like THOUSANDS of crows - were flying overhead in a huge mass from nowhere specific to nowhere specific as far as I could see. It went on and on and ON, with the flying, the crowing and the general racket/disturbance that one might associate with a huge show of force in the crow community.

As I was watching and listening to these things fly overhead, I thought of my friends Maya and Mike who often refer to things going wrong at work as being signs of the apocalypse. Then I started to wonder, what ARE those signs? I was pretty sure that noisy crows descending upon a small bedroom community in eastern Ventura County did not count as one, but what does? A quick Googling nets many different answers - the one from WikiAnswers seemed to be the most basic in it's assessment. War, famine, disease, crime, having no love (as in for poptarts) and earthquakes are all listed as prime candidates. Hmmm, while I don't see murders of flying crows (yes, a group of crows really IS called a murder...look it up!) as definitive signs, it WOULD seem that all is not well here on planet earth!

It is time that we all do our part to right the things that are wrong and control what we can...but for the time I think that we can safely assume that the crows are nothing more than a noisy and odd phenomenon.

No comments: