Thursday, November 20, 2008

The 3-day rule

For those who have taken to reading the majority of my blogging entries, you know that I can get rather fixated, perhaps even obsessed with things. It is how I tick, I suppose. It can be a rather endearing trait to watch, but probably a rather frustrating thing if you have to live it while I am caught up in the fury of whatever is occupying my attention at the moment.

In an effort to keep some of my OCD tendencies in check, I work hard not to yield to a fixation too quickly. Case in point - peanut M&Ms. Talk about a tasty treat! I woke up craving them on Tuesday for reasons that I could not cite to you. I had a few opportunities to get some too, but I resisted. I must have thought about eating them a dozen times on Tuesday, but I attempted to show restraint and did not buy or speak of them, but boy was I thinking of them! Wednesday was no better. Everywhere I looked it seemed as is they were peeking out, taunting me with their little yellow bag, just calling to me.

This morning when I woke up, I again started thinking about how good they sounded. It has been longer than I can remember since I have last had any M&Ms, so I couldn't tell you why I keep thinking about them...but I do. I decided while riding the train to the airport that it was time for the 3-day rule to kick in - I have been craving the crazy little peanut M&Ms for 3 days now; it is time to break down and get a bag.

Fortunately, I was at the mecca of all junk food purchasing portals...the airport. I had my choice of bag size, but stuck with the classic 'King Size' bag. Although I wanted to just rip open the bag and pour them down my throat, I ate each one individually...slowly and carefully...savoring them and trying to figure out what it was that was making me crazy for the things! I nursed the bag along for about 15 minutes and then they were gone. Just as I finished, the couple seated next to me opened up THEIR bag of candy, which just so happened to be the monster size of...yep, peanut M&Ms. I was SUPER glad that I had opted to feed my craving or I might have had a nervous breakdown sitting next to them while they chomped recklessly on their gluttonous pile of treats!

I am still thinking about the darn things...it is going to be a long 3 days to Saturday!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

Nothing wrong with OCD or obsessions! And long live the peanut m&m's - one of my very favorites!