Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Gifts, Giving and Thanks

It is natural at this time of the year to think about not only what we are thankful for, but also how we can give thanks. I had the good fortune to attend church this past Sunday at Shepherd of the Hills United Methodist Church in Mission Viejo - the church that my very good friend Pastor Craig (aka The Mighty One) reigns as senior pastor. As usual, his sermon did not disappoint and as usual, it got me thinking about how my family and I give.

The takeaway for me was pretty straightforward - we are all bestowed with a variety of gifts that we in turn give freely to help ourselves and others grow...it creates a very positive cycle of the 'pay it forward' nature that helps bring people closer with each other and in their own relationship with God.

This explanation frames the blog of today...what are our gifts, how do we give them and in all of that, how do we give thanks? As someone bestowed with SO many gifts (I also live a rich fantasy life), it has been fun to do so many different things to give to others while at the same time getting a lot of satisfaction myself. This isn't about giving a way a ton of money, dedicating weeks on end to travel and help in faraway places or even making huge personal sacrifices...it is about finding a way to plug in and make a difference. The beauty in my opinion is that it is such a rewarding experience, especially in places and circumstances that one would not expect.

A Newton family favorite is currently Many Mansions - it is a part of our community and has a lot of different places and ways to volunteer from providing meals to reading to grade school kids or working on keeping the housing units in good shape. Even with a pretty full teen schedule, Holly has managed to find a way to give by asking for donations to this group in lieu of birthday or Christmas gifts for her.

As I watch Holly make these decisions for herself, I realize how great MY gift of her is and for that, I give huge thanks!

No comments: