Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Action Time

Yesterday was of course election day and while the bulk of my hours were spent with a certain celeb in Los Angeles, the importance of voting and the issues at hand did not go unnoticed. I voted last week (years of commuting to the northern part of the state had me set up as a permanent absentee voter) and was keeping close watch on things via the Blackberry once the east cost polls closed.

It was very interesting being in LA - specifically along Hollywood Boulevard on election day. There was no shortage of people on the streets, happy to make their opinions and preferences to how we should vote known. Lots of honks of agreement from passing cars and lots of dialogue on street corners...I would actually describe it as fun as the air was somewhat electric with hopes, beliefs and an earnest desire to get as many people out to vote as possible.

At about 6 pm I ducked into a store that had two huge TVs set to the coverage and watched things start to take shape. I ended up chatting with a man who said that he has been living in the United States for 5 years (he moved here from Persia) and has been a citizen for 18 months - this is obviously his first presidential election that he voted in and he got up at 6:30 am to make sure that his voice was heard. The excitement in his face was infectious and I noticed as I walked along the Boulevard that people were making eye contact, nodding and truly engaging with one another as we passed on the street - pretty cool and very unifying.

There is still a lot to do and I can't hide my disappointment on a certain Prop 8 that seems to have passed. It is action time (well, it will be in January) and I, like all of my fellow citizens am really looking forward to how the change will benefit us all.

No comments: