Saturday, May 9, 2009

Fare Jumpers

I have returned to my regular commute schedule, taking the bus-train-bus routine into LA on Thursdays and Fridays. I must confess that I am surprised by the number of sheriffs and MTA police present of late.

The fare system here is a little loose compared to other cities I've traveled, leaving some gaps for opportunists who want to avoid the $1.25 one-way or $5 day pass fare, particularly on the orange line and all of the rail routes.

In the past, I could go on almost any portion of my trip and not be asked to produce evidence of a ticket or pass. Now, there are officers standing on the platform as you step off the bus or train, asking to see your ticket. Don't have a valid pass? They are armed conveniently enough with a hand-held ticket machine and will quickly issue you a $500 citation for fare-jumping.

Suddenly, the train just got a whole lot less economical for those people who opted to play the system!

No comments: