Sunday, May 10, 2009

Gaud-like

This is not intended to be disrespectful or blasphemous (you know that this is going to be a good entry if I have to lead off with a disclaimer), but there is a point (in my humble opinion) in which ornate crosses the line and becomes too much.

We were recently witness to just such a display a few weeks ago while visiting an unnamed church in an unnamed city for an unnamed service (I am observing anonymity rules to risk insult or injury to those involved!).

Elizabeth was my partner in crime, and as we were sitting in the pew facing forward, I leaned over to her and whispered, "I'm not sure how I feel about all of that bling on the cross up there, especially the turquoise wood strips that jut out from the sparkle-gold background.". Elizabeth agreed, we giggled a bit and the service carried on.

After a few minutes, the lighting changed, dimming the sanctuary overheads...then a spotlight --- a red spotlight --- came on over the cross. A bit much for me, so I shared with Elizabeth my opinion, "That is a little more gaud...and I am talking G-A-U-D then I like to see in church."

I am thankful to report that we were neither kicked out, stoned or struck down for the snickering that ensued. Funny is funny and we should rejoice!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

That still makes me laugh - and I needed that today - thanks so much!