Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What a Hitter

Movie night at the Newton household was this past Friday. We opted to crack out an oldie but a goodie...A League of Their Own. Timeless entertainment, in my book. We all know some of the famous lines including, of course, Tom Hanks and his rant of, "Are you crying? There's no crying in baseball!!!"

The whole family got involved with this movie, no dozing or relaxing with their eyes closed (a famous Holly quote). In some cases it was anticipation of what was coming and in others it was forgetting about some of the little jewel moments that are in the movie.

My personal favorite? "...and how about that Marla Hooch? What a hitter." I laugh EVERY time I see it. In fact, as soon as the newsreel starts up about the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League I start chuckling in anticipation of it. That and the far-away shot of Marla waving. Good stuff.

It is interesting to read the many, many opinions on this movie out there on the web. Most of them are pretty favorable, but some are rather critical about the "syrupy" nature of the movie. I disagree. Penny Marshall has constructed a great film that entertains, brings together an awesome ensemble cast, lets them do their thing (the facial expressions alone are brilliant), and the whole project endures. We watched the credits all the way through to the end to learn that it was made in 1992...17 years ago.

What a hitter!

1 comment:

Krisandr said...

Love that movie! In fact I think today is a great day to pull it out. Just to let you know, I've chatted with some of the women who played in the American Girl Professional Baseball league and they said all in if was pretty accurate. I'll have to show you the calendar I have that shows all of the baseball cards from the women in AGPB. Way cool!