Sunday, December 21, 2008

Chasing Rabbits

Scooby is a world-class rabbit and squirrel chaser. I am not sure that this is something that has either been formally declared or that I am particularly proud of, but it is a fact. That dog can RUN and is forever on the prowl for critters to chase.

There have been some captures - I must admit with sadness in my heart - but nothing that I have thankfully ever witnessed so for the time being I am content with the concept of the dogs flushing critters out of the brush so long as I do not actually bear witness to the after-effects of a successful chase that ends with anything other than Scooby and Daphne trotting back to us, tongues hanging out of their mouths. (Shadow is content to stand by and bark her approval/encouragement and leave the running to the young 'uns)

There is an area in Hemet that we take the dogs to when we visit (as we did on Sunday) that we have decided is Scooby's absolute favorite place on earth. It is a giant wash/field that has areas where concrete was dumped long ago, creating what David refers to as 'Rabbit Condos'. Scooby and Daphne make for the condos as soon as they get them in sight and then the great flushing-out process begins! One or both of the dogs gets a scent, they follow it around and then occasionally a rabbit will come shooting out of a hole or bush and the great chase is on.

I am pleased to report that there were at least 5 big chases on Sunday morning with no captures, leaving the dogs tired and me relieved!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

Craig would probably love it if you brought the dogs to Shepherd to catch some of the rabbits there!