Monday, December 22, 2008

The Christmas Dauschund

I mentioned in an earlier post that we were out in Hemet this weekend, visiting our parents to celebrate Christmas since we will not be in town (or the country, for that matter) on Christmas Day. The visits were excellent, complete with some nice gifts, tasty treats and playing with our new toys.

This trip also heralded an important Christmas figure that I until now I did not know existed - the Christmas Dauschund.

My parents have had miniature dauschunds (a common and easier to pronounce/spell nickname is doxy) for something near 20 years. They are sweet -albeit a little yippy - dogs who have funny little personalities and always keep things interesting. My Mom is excellent at finding things that have doxys on them and has a great collection about the house. From figurines to pictures, magnets, notecards and beanie babies - if there is a doxy item (especially a miniature wire-haired version), my Mom has found it or someone has given it to her.

What I did not realize until my visit to Hemet yesterday is there is also a Christmas Dauschund - witness the photo above - who barks in Christmas each year. I walked by him 3 or 4 times, smiled each time that I saw his little beard and hat, and then finally went inside to get my camera so that I could capture his essence to share with all.

I'll bet that he is a big help to Santa, especially when it comes to wrapping (or unwrapping) presents.

No comments: