Sunday, March 15, 2009

Just Wear the Crown

I enjoy celebrating birthdays...for other people. It is not that I have an issue with getting older or my age; I have no problem with that! i just feel kind of weird proclaiming that it is a day to celebrate me...it's just not something that I typically do.

The day was early last week and it was nice; not too action-packed and low key because it wasn't widely known at work until late in the day. David, Holly and I went to P.F. Chang's for dinner (YUM) and had a very nice time...no singing, no fuss and no excessive attention, just the way I like it!!

I thought that I had scooted through another year without a big production, and then my young friend Briana (AKA "the Pants") invited me to dinner with her on Friday. We originally intended to go to BJ's, but the wait was ridiculous, so we walked to the other end of the mall and did a little Red Robin action (who are very accommodating when it comes to subbing in a Garden Burger for any of their gourmet burgers, by the way).

When we sat down at the table, Briana asked me if I would do a favor for her. I was suspicious, but begrudgingly agreed. From what seemed like nowhere, she whipped out some mini-crown and ask that I wear it. I tried to negotiate some different terms, but Briana put her foot down and said, "Just wear the crown." I did and of course got plenty of stares and smiles from everyone in the restaurant.

I no sooner finished my dinner when the dreaded thing happened...every server on the floor came over to our table, carrying a sundae, clanging the spoon on the glass, singing and clapping. Oh good grief, PLEASE tell me they aren't stopping at our table! Oh, but they did. I did not make eye contact with any of them and endured the clappity-clap and song routine for what seemed like an eternity. Briana, of course, was very pleased with herself and watched me turn redder by the moment.

I paid a hefty price for it, but the sundae was tasty!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

A VERY happy belated Birthday - and the crown looked lovely!