Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Lima Beans

A quick observation today inspired by lunch (which was really last night's dinner, but I did not eat it then, opting instead for a leftover sizable enough to do lunch AND dinner tonight...it's going to be a long day). I made cheddar turkey pie, which has neither cheddar or turkey since I have modified the recipe significantly, but we still call it that.

I have had the Schnoogs doing my grocery shopping for the past week or two because she is home, she needs to pick up a few more life skills before going off to college and I have not been home during the hours that Trader Joe's is open. She does a rather nice job of things and naturally enjoys the fact that my list is easy to follow because it is typed and laid out in the order of the store layout...I can't deny that I am very organized like that!

So back to my lunch. I was chewing along when I was suddenly aware of something VERY different in terms of flavor...it was a lima bean. I have been a lifelong hater of the lima bean and have discriminated against it in my diet to such a point that I go out of my way to buy mixed vegetables that do not carry the offensive bean. I do not label mixed vegetables on my grocery list with a "no lima beans!" label, so Holly did not know any better when she was shopping.

It has been at least 25 years since I had a lima bean; I can usually spot them a mile away and pick them out if they make their way onto my plate (slyly, of course, but they get filtered out nonetheless). I must say, they have mellowed over the years, because I really wasn't that bothered by them in my lunch.

I wonder what Holly thought of them...I might imagine that was the first time that she has ever had a lima bean!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

Lima Beans - ICK! Have been a life long hater myself - when I was in college eating in the dining commons - I would enjoy a bowl of cereal at dinner and my "friends" would put them in my cereal - ick!