Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Segmented

I participated in the "Whole Foods Pasadena Triathlon" a couple of weeks ago. It is a cool event and kicks the triathlon season off nicely in my opinion. Definitely a smaller regional event, we run a 5K around the Rosebowl (3.1 miles), bike 3 times around the Rosebowl (10 miles) and then trot off to the pool for a quick 3 laps and then you are done. This is the 3rd year that I have done the event, I was fortunate enough to be a part of the very first year where all of 200 people participated.

Each year the event gets bigger and more elaborate; we even had timing chips this year! I must tell you with great amusement that my time this year is EXACTLY the same as last year AND the year before - 1:20. No land-speed records were broken, but there is something to be said for the consistency in my performance.

New to this year is also some organization in the transition area and the segmenting of the different groups participating. My group is recorded above. I was entertained once I set up to watch how many people didn't see the signs when they first set up (it was pretty dark at 6:15 am!), so as the sun began to shine and people realized they weren't in the "correct" section of the rack, they made quite a production of moving...especially the women who were 38 or 39. We certainly wouldn't want them to get slowed down by those old ladies in the 40-44 rack!

My favorite was the man who was over in our rack. I don't think the age piece was such an issue to him, but the grief that his friends gave him for racking with the women...it was a good bit of comedy to pass the time!

Maybe next year they can try grouping us by awareness level, that will bring a whole new set of entertaining signs to take pictures of!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

And you know I would LOVE to see awareness level signs - they would be quite the addition to my collection!