Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Shamrock Shake - Attempt #1

I LOVED the Shamrock Shake when I was in High School. My friends and I would pile into my dented-but-sturdy '69 Plymouth Valiant at lunch time to get our fill of the minty-green sweetness during the month of March. It was something that was eagerly anticipated every year.

As the years go by and our lives evolve, some practices are relegated to "the goodl ol' days," and after college, the Shamrock Shake fell into that category. I think that McDonald's also discontinued the seasonal shake for some period of time too, reducing this tradition to a thing of the past for me.


I was out with the family last weekend when we noticed signs heralding the Shamrock Shake and it's limited time only status. Instantly, I wanted one, even though it was late and we had just finished a great dinner at Eric's house. I made a mental note to get one before St. Patrick's Day.

Without warning, it was Wednesday and we somehow got on the topic of Shamrock Shakes at work. We were there pretty late, but I was craving one. I decided that it was too late to get one on the way home, so I fell asleep thinking of the minty, frosty goodness. This morning, I woke up thinking about the same thing.

I rationalized to myself that while I wouldn't drink one late at night, I had no problem enjoying a shake first thing in the morning, so I opted to do a little Mickey D's for breakfast. I rolled in, ordered breakfast and then asked if they still had the Shamrock Shake...no. Curses! I missed it by one day. Disappointed, I rolled around the driveway to the pay and pick-up window.

There, large as life, was a Shamrock Shake sign, taunting me with it's decadence. When I got to the window, I told the person working that the sign was still up and I was sad that the Shamrock Shake was gone. He looked at me, handed me my change and then said, "We didn't want to clean the machine." What??? The product was still there but I am denied a serious craving because someone didn't want to clean the machine?? The drive-thru guy looked at me and then let the window slide shut.

Denied.

1 comment:

Ebe said...

Unacceptable! My mom is the one that got me hooked on Shamrock Shakes - and they were a yearly tradition for as long as I can remember - haven't had one, though, in years!