Monday, January 31, 2011

Sappy Pine

Ebe was visiting us on Friday...we had an Emmaus team building meeting in Ventura early Saturday morning and she was already in South Pasadena for work, so it just made sense to have her come over, enjoy the company and save herself a loooooong drive in the morning (she did still get the mileage in going home on Saturday night, but at least it wasn't in traffic!)

We (mostly I) did not put on the best hostessing show. I was late getting home from work, so they ended up going out for KFC (and a special stop at Chipotle for me since there isn't a single entree that I can eat at the jankety-chicken place). Dinner was served in front of the TV (we are still working through all of the I Love Lucy DVDs) and predictably enough, I fell asleep in the chair. Quite the evening out for Ebe!

I managed to wake up in time to join a conversation about fire pits, burning wood and smokey fires. Holly was recounting a time that she was at a party at a friend's house where the wood in the fireplace was creating so much smoke out the chimney, the fire department was called. We debated the reasons that this happened...wood too wet, wood too dry (is there such a thing?), and then David's contribution...sappy pine.

Perhaps it was the delirium of being too tired, but that hit my funny bone and we started using "sappy pine" in every context imaginable...with contempt, excited, scared, maybe even as a swear word. I don't think that it translates as well in writing, but I am telling you, we had a good laugh about it.

It was a sappy pine evening for sure!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

Yes - yes we did have a good laugh - as I am doing right now thinking about it! No worries about hosting duties - anytime I get to see the Newton clan is a good time!