Saturday, October 4, 2008

Begrudgingly, I am a Fan

As a pesco-vegetarian (I eat fish but no other meat...oh yeah, and I LOVE me the dairy too!), I am not a real member of the fast food nation. It is inconvenient at best to get something to eat in most burger places and even what options I do have do not rank on the healthy side, so I usually just skip it. I do the McDonald's deal every now and again for breakfast (that McGriddle is darn tasty with just the egg and cheese) and if faced with the need to do a meal there, I end up ordering the cheeseburger with no meat - it always messes with the production cook's minds to get that order (and it only comes out right about 60% of the time unless I repeat it multiple times). With all of that context, I would not describe myself a very loyal fan or advocate of McDonald's...until now.

You have likely seen the big push on coffee that the burger behemoth has launched over the last 9 months or so. I had heard from a few people that the iced coffee was good, and while I believed it, never had any reason to check it out for myself. Some of you may have seen the effects that coffee/caffeine can have on me. While entertaining to many to watch me wind up, start talking very quickly and sweat just a little bit around my hairline, it is not something that I strive to do too often because then I feel kind of shaky afterwards (it should be noted that this is not psychological, it was 'proven' a couple of years ago by a friend who swapped my decaf vanilla latte with Karen's caffeinated version. I showed up to a meeting amped up while she just about laid her head down on the table with zero energy)

Back to the coffee. I don't remember the occasion that finally made me try the stuff, but I do remember that I drank it down fast and thought, "HEY!" It is darn tasty. I assumed that it was being made with heavy cream or something equally unhealthy, but when I checked out the nutritionals, I quickly calculated that the sugar-free version was pretty decent and from there, albeit somewhat begrudgingly, I must proclaim the news that I am a fan.

If only I could convince McDonald's to bring back the Gardenburger!

No comments: