Sunday, October 5, 2008

Schnoogie is a....CRUUUUSHERRRR!

It is a bit embarrassing to admit that I have spent far more time writing about my activities and events and not nearly enough of the NEWTON FAMILY adventures, as the title of this blog might lead one to believe the topic might be. With that, Schnoogs and her softball team take center stage tonight. Holly and her friend Rachel play in the Newbury Park & Rec softball league in a division designed to encourage players of all ages and all skill levels. Neither Holly or Rachel would really describe themselves as jocks (although Holly did play in the 12 and under softball league for 2 years because her mother made her - it was that or soccer!) but they are good sports and are enjoying playing together as well as with the rest of their team.

The name of their team is the Conejo Crushers, which immediately reminds me of a Looney Tunes cartoon called Bunny Hugged where Bugs Bunny wrestles this big bulky guy known as.....THE CRUUUUUUUSHERRRRRRR. The Crusher is very intimidating and strong, but naturally Bugs overpowers him with sheer brilliance and cunning - Bugs Bunny is good like that!

Back to the Conejo Crushers. I think that their record is 1-4, but they play like champs every week. I sadly missed their big victory last week, but have it on good authority that Holly played rather well. This week I was once again present (camera and all) and did my part to cheer and encourage the team. Holly had 3 at bats - her first two were (If I may say so myself) excellent hits that were fielded well, resulting in her being thrown out at first. Her 3rd at bat was met with a forced walk, but that was all that was needed for the Schnoogs to demonstrate her very fine lead-off and base running techniques. She milked every opportunity to advance a base and before we knew it, she was coming home! Hooray for Holly! (I am a very encouraging cheerleader in the stands, much to Holly's dismay) It should also be noted that the Schnoogs was styling at 2nd base for two innings, a nice change from her usual right field position.

While the Crushers did not win this game, they played great and I for one am very proud. Watch for more news and pictures next week!

1 comment:

Ebe said...

Go Holly! It's nice to hear about the Newton Family and I look forward to seeing more pictures!