Thursday, October 23, 2008

Petite - for a Sumo Wrestler

I had the dogs out for their walk on Tuesday night and was perplexed by the number of off-leash dogs that came up out of nowhere and charged us! Imagine if you will yours truly cruising along the side streets of Thousand Oaks with 3 dogs, just minding our own business when up charges some crazy (and rabid, for all I know!) dog, inciting a near riot with my pack.

In all cases I am happy to report that no blood was shed but my arm was about ripped off in the process as that Scooby can be quite an ox when she wants to! None of our dogs are particularly aggressive, but when approached in such an unexpected fashion, they come a bit unglued. It looks something like this: Scooby does the kangaroo jump in an attempt to dislocate my shoulder and break free. Daphne follows it up with a leash twist around my legs in an attempt to take me down and break free. Shadow stands and barks in an attempt to distract me while the other two break free. Somewhere in the midst of all of this an inappropriate-for-this-G-rated-blog word (or two) comes out of my mouth. It is pandemonium at best!

After the third round in one night I was almost ready for it and wondered what the scene would look like with someone far smaller and not nearly as freakishly strong as I can be. Seriously. I am not petite by any stretch - except maybe in the sumo wrestling community - and I can hang on pretty tight, but with the collective horsepower of our 3 dogs, it can get a bit dicey...I have even seen Scooby pull David flat down on his face at the beach (and I must admit that I laughed too, because it came out of nowhere).

It's not so funny when on the other side of the leash!!

No comments: