Friday, October 10, 2008

This is my ONLY complaint about So Cal

I had to drive in and out of LA today...I started dreading it at about 5 pm yesterday. Going there wasn't too bad and while I had to navigate the infamous 101-405 interchange, I moved through virtually unscathed and only took 45 minutes to cover the 41 miles. I had built a lot of cushion time into my commute, so I even had an opportunity to read my book while hanging out at a local Starbucks. That in itself was a relaxing 45 minutes or so until I realized after driving about a mile away that I had left my wallet sitting in the overstuffed chair that I had planted myself in!

By some great grace, I made it back in record time and the wallet was still sitting there, looking rather lonely...whew! That would have been no one's fault but my own had I left it there and it would have been a mighty stupid way to lose my license, credit cards, cash and the like.

With the wallet drama behind me and still right on time, I went to my appointment. I wrapped up at about 3:15 and hit the road back home. I foolishly tried to convince myself that it wouldn't be too bad since it was still just a bit after 3. Ah, the tricks we try to play on ourselves! Naturally, the roads were packed because it is Friday and if one doesn't clear the freeway by about 2pm, you can add an easy hour if you are going in any direction for 15 miles or more. As big a fan as I am of the whole Southern California lifestyle, this is my only complaint...traffic is miserable and the public transportation options are limited!

I did make it home after a grueling and painful 2 hours - there was definitely nothing done to help ease congestion or pollution issues in my activities of today...anyone know of any great alternate modes of transportation to take into the City of Angels???? I can think of thousands of other people that I sat on the roads with this afternoon that would support such a venture too!

No comments: