Friday, October 31, 2008

Tour de Pumpkin

Happy Halloween. Fellow Unemployment Friday attendee Jonathan and I celebrated with a 26 mile ride on the Ventura River Trail out towards Ojai. It has been some time since Jax did a bike ride outside of any length, so he had a fair amount of trepidation around the journey. A player all the way, Jonathan set out on the ride and admitted when we finished up that he enjoyed the whole biking experience far more than he thought. A favorite part was the return - there is a fair amount of incline all the way out, so once you turn around and head back towards the beach, there is a great downhill slant for about 10 miles.

There are no real Halloween stories to share today - for some strange reason I never received the 'Halloween Excitement' gene. Call it a defect. It isn't for a lack of trying on the part of my parents - we carved pumpkins, dressed in costumes (I was a ballerina for 7 consecutive years, I clearly lacked imagination on this topic), attended carnivals and did extensive Trick or Treating. Nothing. I didn't really enjoy it then and I don't now. It seems rather blasphemous to many, including Holly who is the primary reason that we even have any decorations or acknowledgement around the house that it is Halloween. We do have candy...I remembered to purchase some and both David and I sampled a few of them just a few minutes ago. The chocolate/caramel mix was a good choice if I may say so myself.

Holly dressed up and left for school before I had a chance to take her picture. She is at the school filming the homecoming game for a piece that her mass media class is presenting next week, so I don't know if I am going to have a chance to capture her Halloween spirit or not. I will search her out and snap a photo, even if it is of her from the behind the scenes vantage of recording the game...go T.O.!!

It will be a busy weekend with a trip to Denver for myself and a stint on a TV show for the newest celebrity in our family - Shadow! Stay tuned, we are a lively group over here!

No comments: